Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Homemade Onion Rings

I don't know what onion rings have to do with April Fool's Day, but what a wonderful dinner it made! I love the gooey batter that covers onion rings, but I wasn't about to pour in a can of beer. I played around with this recipe until I got the right consistency. I used half of a large onion, sliced it and pulled apart the rings. The batter made 20 onion rings, so double or half as needed. Husband suggested we put them on hamburgers, yum!

Husband Rating: 5 stars

1/2 of an onion, about 20 rings

1/2 cup flour + 2 Tbsp.

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup cornmeal

1/4 tsp. garlic salt

1/4 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. baking powder

Dash of black pepper

Dash of chili powder

Oil for frying


Slice onion and separate rings. Place in a bowl of ice water for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together 1/2 cup flour, cornmeal, garlic salt, baking powder, pepper and chili powder. Crack in one egg and 1/2 cup milk. Stir together until smooth. Remove onions from water, pat dry. In a shallow bowl put 2 Tbsp. of flour. Place each onion ring in the flour to cover, then dredge through the batter. (I used a fork to plop in the batter and smear it around, then put it right in the oil.) Fry in oil until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel to cool. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or on a burger.

I was just thinking too, these would be so easy to freeze and reheat when we're making burgers and craving onion rings! Mmmm . . . .

post signature

1 comment:

Salty Gal said...

mmmmmm I love onion rings...I am going to have to try these out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails