Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Egg Rolls


Mm, crunchy egg rolls. My husband generally hates egg rolls because of all the slimy vegetables. I promised him I would only use "familiar" vegetables and some tasty pork. You can slice your own veggies for the filling, but I recommend buying a bag of coleslaw from the store near the lettuce and salad bags. I grabbed a brand called "Eat Smart, Sunrise Slaw" in 10 oz. size. They had lots of varieties of cabbage and other veggies, but I grabbed the bag with shredded carrots, broccoli and red cabbage. (Secret bonus, the broccoli is sliced thin, doesn't look like broccoli, I hid the bag in the bottom of the garbage so he wouldn't read it!) My husband is not a picky eater normally, he just has issues with vegetables, lol. It takes some undercover work to feed my family veggies, especially green ones! If you don't have a fryer, you could easily do this in a skillet. Enjoy!

Husband Rating: 3 1/2 stars

1 bag 10 oz. slaw
2 cups shredded pork (Click here for my directions on easy shredded pork)
1/2 of an onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
14 egg roll wrappers
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. of the Secret Ingredient *see below

*I'm embarrassed to admit the secret ingredient, since it doesn't really fit with chinese cuisine. I mixed everything together and I just knew it needed something else, a little oomph of flavor. I browsed in the fridge and pulled out a bottle of Zesty Italian Dressing. I know, right? It was the perfect flavor, loved it! So yeah, use it!

In a saute pan combine secret ingredient dressing, garlic, onion and slaw. Cook and stir over medium heat. Add shredded pork, ginger, sesame seeds and soy sauce. Stir for 4-5 minutes until heated through. Place a spoonful of filling in egg roll wrappers and fold. Use cold water to seal the ends. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.

Here is what the filling look likes, yummy!

Here is how I folded the egg rolls. Look to the back of your wrapper package for hints.


post signature

1 comment:

Jackie the Junk Junkie said...

Those look wonderful. . . I am adding this recipe to ones I would like to try. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails