Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chicken Sale? Now what?

Have you found a great chicken sale? What comes next? How can you make it useful?

I know I've bought a big package of chicken at some great price, forgot about it or didn't get it all used and ended up throwing half of it away. *gasp* I know, I'm so embarrassed:) I want to share my easy ideas for using chicken, listen up.

This picture is an average 1 month chicken supply. It's roughly 7 lbs, and cost me just under $14. I only buy chicken if I can find it for under $2/lb, that's my rule. I always purchase it from the meat counter instead of the aisle, that way they will package it for me however I want for free.

First, I have them pack 2 chicken breasts in one package, 2 chicken breasts in another and all the rest together. The wrapped packages you see have 2 pieces of chicken and are going right in my freezer. These are perfect for when I want to make something like Honey Dijon Chicken, Ritzy Chicken Nuggets, or Chicken Stir Fry. Simply put the chicken in your fridge the day before and you're good to go.

Next, you see the ziploc bags on the right? I get several marinades ready to go for a fast meal. Here I made Lemon Pepper Chicken (delicious on the grill), Sun-dried Tomato Basil (which is delicious with Asparagus Alfredo or for Smothered Grilled Chicken) and Teriyaki Chicken (which I use for my Teriyaki Noodle Bowls or a quick stir fry. And really, all I do is dump in the bottled marinades, you could totally make your own or go coupon some cheap Kraft marinades. After I add the chicken to the marinade I label and put right in the freezer. The night before I want to use it, I toss it the fridge to thaw. Delicious!

Finally, the last thing I do with the chicken it to cook and shred it. Click here to read my easy instructions on boiling and shredding chicken. I usually put 1 1/2 - 2 cups in each ziploc bag. Shred it or dice it, or some of each. It's soooo handy to have pre-cooked chicken to whip out right before dinner. I confess, sometimes I don't even have time to thaw the chicken. A few turns in the microwave and I'm in business. The cooked chicken is essential for quick meals like Chicken Quesadillas, Chicken/Rice/Bean Burritos and Chicken Tostadas. Throw it on Garlic Chicken Flatbread Pizza or make BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.

So what do you think? If you spend a few extra minutes prepping your chicken, you have a month full of chicken meals that are ready to roll.



Now go make something delicious with chicken!

(And for all your ladies from fabulesslyfrugal.com, I'm excited to be picking up my Zaycon Foods all natural chicken this weekend. I can't believe I got 40 lbs, of chicken for $1.48 per lb. I'm splitting it with my mom, but still, that is going to last me for months!!!)

post signature

1 comment:

Gallant Family said...

I love chicken. What great ideas!!! I always cook up a little more chicken than I need, shred it, and freeze it. I have used it SOOOO many times for quick meals. Your quesadillas are one of my go-to quickies! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails