Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 25, 2010

October Sharing Time Week 4

Week 4: Temple work helps me and my family come unto Christ.

For sharing time this week I'm going to be using a great story from the Feb. 2002 Friend magazine and play a game that my primary kids love.

First, visit this link and print the story and 2 coloring pages. I would print the images on cardstock. I colored them with markers, cut them out, and put sticky velcro (just the hooks) on the back.

Our church library has large (about 2x3) flannel boards you can check out. The velcro sticks perfectly to the flannel. If you don't have a flannel board, you could use a poster board and masking tape, or a magnet board and magnets, or even a chalkboard.

Begin by telling the story about the family that goes to the temple open house. I will invite one child to come up with me and help me put the pieces anywhere on the board. Ask questions as you go like: Why do they where booties in the temple? Why are they wearing their sunday best? How many oxen are there? How old do you need to be to do baptism for the dead?

Now that you have all the pieces up, it's time to play the game. Sometimes I bring a child up to help, other times I choose the piece. I call this game the Baby Shower Game, since we always seem to play it at baby showers:) My junior and senior primary kids get really in to it. I place my flannel board on a music stand so I can easily spin it around, but a blanket over the top works well too. To play, turn the board around and remove one piece of the story. Turn it back around and have the children try to guess which piece is missing. They have to raise their hands, and when they guess it you can ask them more questions about the item.

To close, share a personal temple story, a great experience you've had there. Bear your testimony and encourage them to strive for the temple. I like to ask their teachers for their experiences in the temple too.

Have a wonderful lesson. If you haven't answered my question about sharing time lessons, please click here to let me know what you think.

Thanks!

post signature

2 comments:

tara said...

i really like this idea!

so you put all the pieces up at once, THEN read the story and talk about the pieces as you get to them?

also, for the game - when they figure out which piece is missing, what kinds of questions do you ask?

thanks in advance!

Camille @ Camille's Casa said...

Tara - thanks for stopping by. I put up the pieces one by one as I tell the story. The game is a memory game, they look closely and try to figure out what is missing, sometimes it takes several guesses, but that's what makes it fun:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails