Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Navajo Tacos


You know those days where you have no money to go grocery shopping until payday - more than a week away? And you know you're going to be eating out of your pantry and freezer and try to be creative to make it delicious. Well, we're having one of those weeks, payday cannot come soon enough. Ironically, weeks ago I signed up to feed dinner to our church missionaries, lovely right? I didn't have enough chicken, beef or pork to make something nice, but c'mon, I'm Camille, I can't serve something lame and crappy, lol. I did stare into my pantry for a while before the idea hit me - navajo tacos!! I had 2 cans of chili, milk and eggs for the dough and enough toppings to squeak by, phew. And yes, it was so delicious the missionaries had no idea just how cheap the meal was:) Beats tuna casserole aye?

Note: I make my own dough for the scones, it just tastes so much better. I have friends that use rhodes frozen rolls, it saves time, but consider making your own using my Best Ever Bread Dough recipe, it's fool proof. One recipe made 16 giant scones, I stuck the extras in the freezer for another fast meal, or you could have the recipe for 8. Enjoy!

Husband and Missionary Rating: 5 stars

1 recipe of Best Ever Bread Dough

2 cans chili
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup cheese, grated
Diced tomatoes, olives, onions and your favorite toppings

Oil for frying


Separate your dough into 16 equal portions, they end of being about the size of tennis balls.

Roll out until flat. I like to make my scones thin, they cook faster and you don't run the risk of them being doughy in the middle.

Heat your oil to medium-high. Make sure the oil is heated before your drop in the first scone. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on a plate with paper towels.

Heat up chili (yay for the microwave) and assemble toppings.

Don't they look golden delicious? Mmm Mmmm! Scoop on your chili, then layer with cheese and other toppings. And yes, you're allowed to have seconds.

Linking up with Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed with Grace
and Idea Sharing Wednesday at Women Who Do It All

post signature

7 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

OH, yum! These sound delish! I"m off to check out your bread dough recipe now, too. Thank you so much for sharing!

Rachel said...

We had these for dinner tonight ;-)
We call them tostadas.

YUM. WE LOVE.

Country Gal said...

Love Navajo tacos! Sometimes the cheapest meals are the ones that are the best received! Hospitality is sharing what you have with a lot of love!

the country cook said...

What a fun idea! I'll have to remember this next time I'm in a similar situation. It's much better than running to KFC!

Brenda said...

I used to make these all the time when we lived in Peru and could not get tortillas

Jackie the Junk Junkie said...

Navajo tacos are my absolute fav :)

Jill said...

Mmmmm, that looks so yummy! I tried your easy cheesy manacotti and both the hubby and I loved it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails